Summer gardens are exploding with the last vestiges of produce. Here’s a great salad to put those veggies to good use. The lemon vinaigrette is equally as tasty and bright tossed into a pasta salad or drizzled over roasted veggie like zucchini, yellow summer squash, asparagus, green beans or potatoes.
Serves 2 as a Main Dish or 4 as a side
• 1 small red onion, finely diced
• 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced or 1 pint halved cherry or grape tomatoes
• 1/2 large English cucumber, seeded and chopped
• ¼ c chopped fresh dill, parsley, or cilantro, or a combination
• ½ c feta, crumbled
• Coarse salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
• Optional: toasted pine nuts, fresh spinach or romaine, cooked grain such as bulgur or couscous
Prepare vegetables and toss with your favorite vinaigrette (a lemon one works well). Stir in the herbs and feta; check for seasoning and serve.
Makes 1/3 c
• 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 tsp honey, or to taste
• 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
• 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a bowl, combine lemon juice, garlic, honey, and mustard. Slowly whisk in the oil. An emulsified mixture will develop. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe provided by Wheatsfield Co-op, your community-owned full service natural foods grocery store. Everyone can shop. 413 Northwestern (just off Main St), Open daily 7am-9pm. Recipe developed by Becky Ringsby of Savor Specialty Chef Services which specializes in customized private culinary parties and demos. From Classes at the Co-op – register online at Wheatsfield.coop.