Recipe shared by Becky Ringsby of Savor Specialty Chef Services in the Co-op Cooking Class “The Awesome Avocado.”
Makes 2 1/2 cups
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 can (1 1/2 cups) chickpeas
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Dash hot sauce such as Sriracha (optional)
- Pita wedges, tortilla chips, or raw or blanched veggies for serving.
- Optional toppings: cilantro, olive oil, toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped green onions
In a food processor or high-powered blender, combine avocados, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, hot sauce (if using), and 1/2 cup water. Process until very smooth and mixture has an even texture. Add more water, if needed, and adjust seasoning as you go. Transfer to a shallow serving dish and add desired toppings. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Recipe developed by Becky Ringsby of Savor Specialty Chef Services and provided by Wheatsfield Co-op, your community-owned full service natural foods grocery store. Everyone can shop. 413 Northwestern (just off Main St), Open daily 7am-9pm.