Presented by Erin Norton, Education and Outreach Coordinator with the Midwest Grape and Wine Industry Institute, in the Co-op Class “Wine Cocktails.”
Pear & Red Wine
• 1.5 oz brandy (or bourbon)
• 1 oz red wine, Calico Skies Chambourcin
• ½ oz pear and clove simple syrup (see below)
• 1 c ice
• Dried pear slices for garnish
In a cocktail shaker or glass combine brandy, simple syrup and lemon juice. Shake or stir vigorously until foamy then add ice and shake/stir until chilled. Strain mixture into a glass. Using the back of a spoon pour the red wine slowly over the spoon near the side of the serving glass (you are trying to layer the red wine on top). Garnish with a dried pear slice.
Pear & Clove Simple Syrup
Makes 1.5 c
• 1 c water
• 1 c of sugar
• 1 pear cut in slices
• 8 whole cloves
Combine above ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat on medium until all of the sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature before making the cocktail.
Rose Berry Bliss
Makes 1 Large Pitcher
• 1 Bottle of Rose, chilled
• 1 small bag frozen blueberries
• 1 container frozen pink lemonade*
• 1 liter lemon-lime soda *
• Fruit garnish (lemon slice, blueberries, strawberries)
*If no frozen pink lemonade available, use bottled lemonade with some fresh lemon juice for more flavor.
In a large pitcher mix wine, frozen blueberries, and frozen pink lemonade (or ice and lemonade with extra lemon juice). Allow the flavors to marry while chilling in the refrigerator. Divide into glasses and top with lemon-lime soda (to taste).
Pomegranate and Cranberry Bellini
Makes 1 large pitcher or punch bowl
• 1 cup ice
• 1.5 cups simple syrup
• 1 ¼ cup pomegranate juice*
• 1 cup cranberry juice*
• 1 750mL bottle sparkling wine (Calico Skies Moto or Blanc de Blanc)
• Mint and pomegranate seeds for garnish
*Note: Instead, use 2 ¼ cups of Lakewood Organic Pure Fruit-Pomegranate with Cranberry Organic Fruit Juice Nectar
Add ice to a large pitcher or punch bowl. Add the simple syrup and pomegranate and cranberry juice. Stir well. Slowly pour in the sparkling wine. Garnish with lime slices, mint leaves and pomegranate seeds.
• 1 c water
• 1 c sugar
Add water and sugar to a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved (heat for an additional 2-3 minutes to ensure all sugar has been dissolved). Allow to cool to room temperature before using.
Red Wine Ginger Fizz
• 1 ¼ c red wine, Cautivo Cabernet Sauvignon
• 1 c ginger beer
Cut six slices of orange and stack into two tall tumblers with lots of ice. Divide the red wine between the two glasses. Add the ginger beer on top and serve immediately.
Ice Cream Wine Float
• 1 bottle of LOCAL Snus Hill Cat Nip
• Honeydew or muskmelon
• Vanilla Ice Cream (try LOCAL Picket Fence!)
• Soda water or lemon-lime soda
• Fruit garnish (kiwi, grapes, melon slice)
Fill half a glass with balled honeydew or musk melon. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, followed by the wine and a small amount of soda water or lemon-lime soda. Garnish with some kiwi or green grapes.
Spiced Brandy Wine
• 6 whole cloves
• 1 bottle red wine, Snus Hill High Trestle Trail or Backcountry Winery Scenic Route Red
• lemon zest (4 strips, 3 inches long)
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 2 star anise
• 3 oz brandy
• ¼ c unfiltered apple juice or apple cider
Add all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Begin heating at medium heat. Once small bubbles begin to form, turn heat down to low. Let the wine mull