Recipes presented by Elise Fiscus, Clinical Aesthetician, in the Co-op Class “Summer Self-Care with Essential Oils.”
SPF 30+ Lip Balm
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp shredded cocoa butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp beeswax pastilles
- 1/2 tsp carrot seed oil or red raspberry seed oil to help reduce inflammation and heal the skin and has an SPF rating of between 30 and 50
- 15-25 drops essential oils
Choose from these essential oils: Geranium, Lavender, Peppermint, Clary Sage, Cinnamon Leaf Oil
Melt on stove over low heat. Use either a pipet or funnel for pouring depending on containers selected for storage.
After Sun Spray
- 2 Tbsp alcohol or paraben free witch hazel, refreshes and soothes skin, decreases itching and reduces likelihood of skin peeling and flaking
- 1/4 c aloe vera gel, moisturizes skin, helps reduce signs of aging, soothes skin and reduces inflammation
- 1/2 tsp vitamin e oil, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory; healing agent
- 2 Tbsp fractionated coconut oil, carrier oil, moisturizes skin
- 10 drops lavender essential oil, soothes skin irritations, cooling
- 2 drops peppermint or spearmint essential oil
NOTE: Peppermint essential oil can be a skin irritant if used in high concentration.
Measure ingredients, mix well and pour into 4oz bottles.
Summer Citrus Scrub
- 2 c sugar, anything from superfine to turbinado
- 3/4 c coconut oil
- Juice of one blood orange or other citrus fruit
- 10 drops vanilla essential oil or other scent
- 2 oz plastic or glass jar
Stir ingredients and store tightly sealed.
To use the scrub: apply a quarter-size amount of product to each area of the body and use gentle, circular motions to apply, spend some time with this…make it a part of your self-care ritual and enjoy the aroma-therapy!. Once finished, rinse away the scrub to reveal softer, brighter skin. Try using just before shaving.
Natural Bug Spray
- 2 oz witch hazel, without alcohol or parabens
- 2 oz distilled water
- 20-25 drops essential oil for children over 3 years and older or 40-50 drops essential oil for children 10 and over and adults
- 4 oz spray bottle
Choose from the following essential oils: Geranium, Lavender, Patchouli, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Cedarwood, Spearmint, Peppermint, Citronella, Rosemary, Tea tree (to repel ticks)