April 2017 Recipient: Octagon Center for the Arts
The Octagon Center for the Arts is a non-profit community art organization located in downtown Ames. The Octagon has been a cornerstone of the cultural scene in Ames since 1966. The Octagon serves more than 30,000 people annually through education classes and outreach programs, rotating exhibits, retail gallery shop, and special events such as the annual Octagon Art Festival and the Festival of Trees.
The Octagon relies on private funding to sustain the organization. Approximately 50% of operating revenue is acquired from donations, memberships and sponsorships. The remaining 50% is received from grants, fundraising events and registration fees from classes and juried exhibits.
Each year the Octagon:
- Features an average of 560 artists a year through the gallery shop, exhibits, art festival and classes
- Offers an average of 96 classes / workshops
- Hosts 12-15 rotating exhibits in the 3 galleries
- The Octagon Art Festival will celebrate its 47th Anniversary on September 24, 2017. The outdoor juried art festival takes place on Main Street and features 100 artists from about 12 states.
- Average annual operating budget for the Octagon is $325,000
Give Back Thursday: April 13
1% of Store Sales are donated to the monthly Co-op Nickel recipient on the second Thursday of the month.