Recipe by Becky Ringsby of Savor Specialty Chef Services.
- 2 heaping cups tightly-packed fresh basil leaves
- 6-8 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/3-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Squeeze lemon juice (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a food processor, combine the basil, garlic, and nuts. Process until finely chopped, stopping once to scrape sides with a spatula.
Add 1/3 cup oil through the feed tube with the motor running and continue to process until you have a smooth paste. Add more oil, if needed, to reach desired consistency. Briefly mix in the cheese. Add lemon juice, if using, and salt and pepper to taste.
Optional: For a chunkier pesto, leave out the nuts in the initial processing; add them with the cheese at the end, and pulse about 10 times or to desired consistency.