• 1 clove garlic, pressed
• 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon honey, to taste
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• plus 1 tablespoon for pears
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 4-oz. package mixed greens, washed and dried
• 3 large bosc pears, sliced
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, for pears
• 2 cups strawberries, halved
• 2 oz. chevre cheese, crumbled
• 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
• Cracked black pepper
In a jar, combine the garlic, balsamic vinegar, honey, 1/4 cup olive oil and salt. Shake well to mix.
Preheat the grill or a grill pan. Cut the pears into quarters vertically, then cut out the stems and cores. Toss pears with lemon juice in a large bowl. When the grill is ready, drizzle the remaining olive oil on the pears, then place the slices, cut-side down, on the grill. Turn when marked, about 1–2 minutes. When both cut sides are marked, transfer to the bowl.
Spread the mixed greens on a platter, then top with cooled pears, strawberries, chevre and walnuts. Grind pepper over salad to taste. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
Any number of cheeses will complement this salad, including chevre goat cheese and mascarpone, which have a neutral flavor, allowing the pear and strawberries to shine.
220 calories, 17 g. fat, 5 mg. cholesterol, 250 mg. sodium, 18 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 4 g. protein