Greek Scallops & Spinach with Oil & Lemon Sauce
About 1 hour
Makes 4 servings (1 cup of sauce)
• 6 Tbsp. olive oil
• ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
• 1 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (¼ cup)
• 1 Tbsp. honey
• Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Scallops, Sweat
• 1 chopped fennel bulb (about 1¾ cups)
• ½ cup minced scallions, whites and light greens
• 2 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
• 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
• 4 Tbsp. water, divided
• 2 bags fresh baby spinach (10 oz. each)
• 12 sea scallops (1½ lb.), feet removed, patted dry
• Minced lemon zest and fennel fronds
For the sauce, purée oil, lemon juice, feta, and honey in a mini food processor; season with salt and pepper.
For the scallops, sweat chopped fennel, scallions, and garlic in 2 Tbsp. oil in a sauté pan over medium-low heat, covered, until fennel softens, 15 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
Add 2 Tbsp. water to same pan over medium-high heat, then add half the spinach; season with salt and pepper, toss with tongs until it wilts then transfer to bowl with fennel mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining half spinach in same pan; stir into spinach-fennel mixture and cover to keep warm. Wipe out pan and return to stove over medium-high heat.
Brush scallops with remaining 2 Tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper. Add any leftover oil to pan, add scallops and sear until they easily release, 3 minutes. Flip scallops and sear until cooked through, about 3 minutes more.
Divide spinach mixture among four plates, top with three scallops, and drizzle with sauce.
Recipe sourced from Cuisine at Home
Leave A Comment