Recipe courtesy of StrongerTogether.coop, recipe by Robin Asbell
A recipe of decadent brittle makes wonderful gifts, a little goes a long way! Portion and package festively for teachers, coworkers and friends.
Servings: Makes 2 1⁄2 lbs. (approx. 27 servings).
Prep time: 1 hour; 20 minutes active
- 2 c sugar
- 1⁄2 c water
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 c light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 c roasted salted peanuts or cashews
plus an optional 1⁄4 cup, finely chopped
- 8 oz dark chocolate, melted
1. Line a large sheet pan with a rim with parchment paper.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the sugar, water, butter and corn syrup and bring to a boil to create caramel. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the caramel is light brown and registers 300°F on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the baking soda. The mixture will bubble. Stir in the nuts, then immediately scrape the brittle onto the prepared baking sheet. Using the back of a large spoon (oil it lightly if it sticks), spread the brittle into a thin, even layer. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
3. Spread melted chocolate over the brittle, sprinkle with the finely chopped nuts, if using, then chill. Break the brittle into large shards. Store in airtight containers for up to two weeks.