A Word from the Board
Megan Myers, Wheatsfield Co-op Board of Directors
The holidays offer us an ideal time to reflect and as I look back and reflect on the year as a Wheatsfield board member, the first thing that comes to mind is our revised mission statement: “The Co-op offers food, services and education to cultivate a healthy environment and socially just community.” The statement, unveiled at our annual meeting of the members this past October, builds on the cooperative principals and also speaks to the values that form the core of Wheatsfield’s daily practices and role in the community (see more here: https://www.wheatsfield.coop/history/).
In the spirit of reflection, with a new year around the corner and the holiday season upon us, it is equally important to remain grounded in the present (or the presents!). For many of us, this reality might mean procuring final gifts, stocking stuffers, or maybe just brainstorming a last-minute way to show someone you care about them. Let Wheatsfield give you the “gift” of a safe space to shop for those final holiday purchases—where you can also give back to your community (and round up your purchase for our monthly Change for Community!).
Allow me to recommend a few of my favorites:
- Chocolate—try fair trade and organic chocolates from Lake Champlain and Theo Chocolates.
- Gift card—the gift that keeps giving!
- Wine/beer—try the incoming (Dec. 17) Winter Cider from Jefferson County Brewing. (Alternatively, if you’re in-store, build your own 6-pack of Iowa beer …the perfect personalized gift!)
- Coffee and tea—get that water boiling and give Celestial Seasonings’ “Candy Cane Lane” a go!
- For seasonal produce organic pomegranates and winter citrus favorites like satsuma mandarins are in stock!
- For the perfect stocking-stuffer, you could purchase Badger chapstick—I recommend the Cinnamon Swirl flavor.
- Local Eggnog from Picket Fence Creamery—this is perfect if you’re looking for something to add to your contactless cookie box drop-off on friends’ front porches!